Sunday, March 25, 2018

The Struggle After The Struggle.

Here’s to being fully healed from my pelvic stress fracture and complete fracture! It took a full 4 months and now at 22-weeks I have no pain or discomfort in my injury site. I can’t tell you how amazing it feels to wake up and not be worried about my injury pain. Now I am able to do all daily activity and exercise without pain in my left hip/groin. It’s such a grateful feeling. It felt like I was never going to get to that point. Patience and perseverance paid off.

I started back running on the anti-gravity treadmill at the beginning of February. I was slowly building up my time, days of running, and distance. Everything was going well. Near the middle and end of February I was able to add in outside running at 100% body weight. And then my first full week of running outside happened the week of March 5th. Runs felt great even though I was slow and out of shape. I felt happy to be doing what I had missed for so long.

Then recently I started to notice I wasn’t feeling quite right on some of my runs. I felt like my effort was more labored than it should be. I kept telling myself, “Oh it’s just because you are getting back into shape. This is normal.” Then it happened. I was running one of my standard routes that I have done a bazillion times. As I was running up the slight hill my legs felt like they were completely gassed and in a lactic acid state and my heart started feeling like it was beating out of my chest. I had to stop at the top and regroup. This feeling was a Red Flag to me. I knew from the past and having been anemic off and on that these were anemia signs and symptoms. I decided right then that I had to get my blood checked as soon as possible. And it occurred to me that I had stopped taking my iron supplement since my injury. In retrospect it was a very dumb move on my part.

Luckily, I work in a hospital so they were able to poke my finger the next day and take a quick test of what my Hemoglobin was. It came back reading 8.4 g/dL. Crud…that’s just what I suspected, however a lot lower than I would have expected. I had just had my Hemoglobin checked on Jan 22 and found it was at a healthy range at 14.3 g/dL. So, this sudden drop definitely worried me. I scheduled a doctor’s appointment for the following day.

I just received my results this past Friday and sure enough I am in a state of anemia. My blood values are terrible and this is why I am feeling so terrible. I’ve never experienced all the side effects of anemia before because I had gradually developed it. This time it was happened so drastically that I was not able to physically adjust. I now have episodes of faintness, weakness, constant heart palpations, deep fatigue, and my mind is not sharp. I am managing it as best as I can. Here are changes I have made.

1.     Eating red meat at least 2-3 times a week.
a.     A Challenge for me as I haven’t eaten red meat for years.
2.     Using a cast-iron skillet.
3.     Changing my diet to include more iron rich foods (Cream Of Wheat (45% daily value), spinach, black beans, fortified foods, etc).
4.     Taking an iron supplement twice a day (per doctor’s recommendation)
a.     Ferrous Sulfate (325 mg) + Vitamin C

I am willing to do what it takes to get myself 100% healthy once again. So if you are one to have problems with anemia and having low iron, I urge you to stay on track with your diet and supplements. Don’t be foolish like me. I am paying the price now and it is not fun by any means. When every run feels like the end of a 100-mile race that you blew up on and you are death marching it in…it is not something you want to have to experience on a normal basis. So take it from me and stay healthy and happy!! J





18 comments:

  1. You'll get there Kaci. Just stay the course and get yourself back to health. Good that you knew the signs for anemia instead of something else happening as a result. My wife is always borderline anemic so I am constantly watching for her as she doesn't always recognize when she needs red meat. We're all rooting for you and know that you can get this under control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cecil. I am so glad you are there for your wife and can help her stay ahead of anemia. It is a silent disorder and when it get's bad enough it is just too late. I will be doing everything I can to get healthy!

      Delete
  2. I experienced the same thing. I hadn’t had blood work done in twenty years. I was training for Boston 2017 and knew something wasn’t right but just thought it was over training. I had a miserable experience at Boston and 2 weeks later at a local half marathon in “no excuse” weather. Chalked it up to getting old and needing to work harder. Four weeks later, mid June, I was experiencing balance loss over a dozen times a day. I went to the doctor who ordered an MRI and the next day I found myself admitted in the hospital as a stroke patient. Several damaged spots on my brain due to strokes caused by blood clotting. My iron was incredibly low. After some physical therapy, large dose of iron supplements, hard work and patience I have returned to running feeling better than i ever have. Marathon PR in November and 50 mile finish in March.
    Be patient, continue to do the right things for your body and you will be right back where you need to be. A lot of people are pulling for you, enjoy the grind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have such an incredible story and comeback. I can't believe all of that happened to you. What a blessing that the doctors knew what to do to right away. I am so impressed by your recovery. I hope to have a great story like your's. Thank you and thank you for sharing. Hope you have a great 2018 of running and racing. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh my gosh lincoln, how scary! Thank you so much for sharing your story. I have a condition that puts me at risk of blood clots/strokes and I didn't realize that anemia could raise that risk. (and now wondering if some of my missteps/imbalance issues shouldn't be written off to other things...yikes) I'm so glad you had good care and sounds like you've had an amazing comeback (with all the effort you put in).

      Delete
  3. Liquid iron. Works for me. My ferritin is always tested when I’m racing well so that’s my baseline. I keep it above 90. Anything less than 30 and I’m toast too. And I’m a vegetarian. I love cream of wheat and slow fe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to mention when I once got very low I had two iron infusions. 20 minute treatments. Levels elevated immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, thank you so much for the great information. Right now the doctor wants me to try supplements and diet. I hope it turns around soon. If not, they may have to do something more. I hope not! Stay healthy!!

      Delete
  5. My kids had anemia and I researched it quite a lot. When you comb e citrus consumption with high iron foods, iron is absorbed much more effectively by the body. We did this by having fresh squeezed lemonade or orange juice with foods like broccoli and steak for dinner. Good luck and love to see you run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin that is a great idea to add lemonade or orange juice to my meals. Something good and simple and effective. Thank you...I better make my way to the store and stock up on some juice! :)

      Delete
  6. You may know this already but make sure to space taking any calcium supplements or dairy away from when you're getting your iron. It inhibits the absorption. I learned this the hard way as I used to have a glass of milk with every meal to keep up my calories. Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I have been making sure to space them out. I appreciate the reminder and I hope you are staying healthy and happy too!

      Delete
  7. I didn't realize heart palpitations (my sympathies, I have those from another condition and they're scary) and fatigue/cognitive issues (which I also have from another condition) could be signs of anemia. Weakness and dizziness, those too. Have they figured out why the sudden drop? I imagine they'll search for GI bleeds or similar. Foot strike hemolysis is possible, I guess, but since you've been running lower mileage, doesn't seem likely. Or do you just run low and have to keep on top of it?

    The feelings you describe - and what seem to be worsening of the symptoms above that can be attributed or put off to other existing conditions - are a lot of what I've been feeling in the last months as my pace has slowed but perceived effort has gone up. Today's long run was 13 miles at the slowest pace I could still be running at and I swear I've felt better after racing marathons much faster, and kind of scary bad feeling at the end. Still not feeling that much better a couple hours later.

    In past, I've not tested anemic but lower ferritin and took heme iron supplements (ProFerrin, fine on my problematic tummy). Got my ferritin up to 55 (not sure if it made me feel better) but then iron was over top of range and doc told me to stop. But that was a couple years ago. Maybe I should re-test. I eat very little red meat, though I'm not vegetarian - and can't eat citrus or some of the iron rich veggies/beans due to GI issues. I'd definitely be back to supplementing and watching out for interactions with my rxs and calcium/mag.

    Hope to hear that all is well for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kaci, it's always good to see athletes return to what they love after an extensive layoff. My daughter was a successful gymnast and competed all the way through college, and in her 18 year career had some pretty heinous injuries and always came back. So I get it! My question for you is, are you still planning on doing WSER or are you going to try and recoup the health fully and then re-engage later in the year? -Albert in Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kaci, I am recovering from a stress fracture to my pubic remi as well. The injury happened on Sept 3 and I limped around until finding out in December what it was. Because I didn’t get diagnosed right away I never went on crutches and my healing process has been a long one. I have been following your story and am inspired to stay motivated. I’m planning on running the Chicago marathon in October but at his point only running 9 to 12 min every other day. This post is a great reminder to continue taking my supplements because I too run low in iron. All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kaci, I wish you to get in shape as soon as possible! You are truly a great inspiration for many runners. I just run my first marathon couple of weeks ago, started to think about the next goal and found Billy Yang YouTube channel with a movie about Western States 100 featuring you. I never was interested in sport stars interviews etc., but it was impossible not to notice how positive and inspiring you are! I hope you already overcame the low point and now training hard for another WS 100. Anyway, I wish you all the best in recovery and in all your future runs! Thank you for being such an inspiration and just a wonderful person!

    ReplyDelete
  12. n the West, the focus is on the physical self defense methods - on purely martial skills and fighting. How To Improve Balance

    ReplyDelete