Tuesday, February 27, 2018

The Long Road to Recovery

Enjoying the time outside w/ my girls
I am currently on my seventeenth week since my initial injury. It has been one of the most challenging endeavors I have dealt with. Running has been part of my life for the past 15 years, and when it was suddenly taken away I had a huge void to fill. I was lost at first just dealing with what to do with the time I had spent running. So I problem solved by finding new activities to fill that time. This included going to the gym to lift and cross-train (when I was able), hanging out with friends and family, and doing more projects around the house. The new activities became the new norm for me, and I was okay with that.

Me and Grandma...my inspiration to keep fighting and staying positive.
During my recovery I focused on staying positive and not letting myself become overwhelmed. It was indefinite how long it was going to take for my body to heal. That loss of control scared me and I don't do well with that. However, I would say for the most part I was really good at finding what I could control and stayed focused on that. I won't be the first to admit it but, I am human and there were days that I would break down and become sad and depressed. It is to be expected when you have lost something you love. I would let myself be sad and cry at times. Once I would let myself feel the emotions, I was able to build myself back up and go on. I believe feeling emotions is important in recovery. It allows the mind and body to heal.

Just recently I started Physical Therapy with one of my best friends, Christy Nielsen, who is also a renown runner and expert in running rehab. She has been giving me exercises to improve my imbalances, stability, and strength that I have lost or never had. It's shown me how much work I have to do to be healthy again. I also have been able to start running again. First starting on the Alter-G (anti-gravity) treadmill. I had to start at 65% of my body weight and have just started running some outside which is 100% body weight. I haven't been this sore from running in years. It's shocking how much you loose in the time off. 

Christy & Me
Alter-G Treadmill
I am devoted to my recovery and will go through the long journey of regaining fitness. It's not easy, but neither is our sport. It's the journey we must start by taking it one step at a time leading to where we want to be. I have goals for this year in returning to Western States and UTMB. I may not be at my peak fitness, but I will give it everything I've got. Thank you everyone for being so supportive and uplifting to me during this time. It honestly helps more than you know. I'll be back...

Running outside!!
I also want to give a shout out to my new sponsors and returning sponsors for supporting me during a time when many would have let their athletes go. Even when they knew I was injured Altra and Drymax socks wanted me to be a part of their team. That's to me is very admirable and shows their character. Also, I want to thank my returning sponsors who are sticking with me through this injury too. Squirrel's Nut Butter, Honey Stinger, Kahtoola, and CTS. Thank you for being awesome!! Here's to a healthy 2018!!

No comments:

Post a Comment